Browser News

Fedora-11 update today installed a Firefox 3.5-1

Neat stuff; some new things, among them custom buttons.

As part of custom buttons, I started looking through what's available (thinking I'd get a gmail button, for example).

One of the things I saw was IE6 for Linux. Interesting. Internet Explorer launched through something called IEs4Linux.

I searched - target audience: "Web designers who are on Linux"....

It seems to use a wine, configured so that it's a separate instance - so it doesn't mess up your registry on your "main" wine.

I tried installing it - it failed in gui mode (Gtk complained about code that should never be reached!). The installation from the command line seemed to have a problem when installing flash-9 (something about a rundll failing), but when I tried the browser, all seemed operational. I ran over to google.com (which tried to get me to install chrome - sorry, linux native version, thank you... more about that later). I went to www.web2py.com which now has flash-driven slides on the front page - and IE6 wanted me to install flash-player... ok, let's try, see if _this_ has a rundll failure... Nope; no problem; I'm watching flash content in my IE6 on linux.

This post is written from an IE6, running on wine 1.1.23 on Fedora-11.

Fancy that!
-----------------
Postscript - Apparently, despite blogger complaining, this did post from IE6

0 comments:

Post a Comment